things & thoughts that happened today:
- i had the best wrap/burrito thing ever. like i think i just found my new addiction.
- i decided i need to study more and stop procrastinating. and then proceeded to take a 3 hour nap.
- i feel like i lost sight of myself for a while, and my rude awakening this weekend was a reminder that i should continue to focus on me. more writing, more music, more yoga.
- today i felt both really proud of myself, for the person that i am and the things i’ve accomplished, but also really angry at myself, for letting myself fall and not working harder.
- i continue to feel confused about the whole situation with ahem, ‘him’. i don’t know how i really feel, and i don’t know why. is it my fear of vulnerability or lack of vision that is holding me back? or is there truly nothing at all?
For a show at Birzeit University, Palestinian artist Amer Shomali chose to create a portrait of Leila Khaled, the woman known as the “poster girl of Palestinian militancy.” Unlike a typical portrait, Shomali’s medium of choice for this project is lipstick. Rather than painting the iconic member of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine with paints or even drawing her image with lipstick, the artist uses a custom-built board on which fully intact tubes of lipsticks are affixed—3,500 tubes, to be exact.
Using 14 different colors, Shomali has managed to recreate the famous image of the revolutionary woman wearing a kaffiyeh and holding an AK-47. Though it’s not entirely clear why Khaled’s pixelated portrait titled The Icon is made specifically out of lipstick, the piece is open to interpretations. One theory could be the intriguing and controversial juxtaposition of a powerful and independent woman with an item that is associated with frivolous materialism and femininity and how it parallels the contrasting image of Khaled herself, a woman adorned with a traditional Arab headdress typically worn by men while holding a destructive firearm.
check out the time-lapse video
|Daisy:||How old were you when you had your first kiss?|
|Carnation:||If I handed you a concert ticket right now, who would you want to be the performer?|
|Jasmine:||What color looks best on you?|
|foxglove:||Name three facts about your family?|
|Allium:||What's the best thing you can cook?|
|Orange Blossom:||If you could pick the gender and appearance of your child, would you?|
|Calla Lily:||If you died right now, what song would you want to play at your funeral?|
|Poinsettia:||Favorite holiday dish?|
|Oxlip:||Would you ever get into a long distance relationship?|
|Primrose:||Favorite kind of soup?|
|Daffodil:||What's the most thoughtful present you've ever received?|
|Rose:||Are you currently in love with someone?|
|Amsonia:||Would you ever become a vegan?|
|Peony:||What's your favorite hot beverage?|
|Tulip:||For your birthday, what kind of cake do you ask for?|
|Myrtle:||Do you like going on airplanes?|
|Hibiscus:||Did you ever play an instrument? If so what?|
|Zinnia:||Who was your best friend when you were six years old?|
|Poppy:||What color was your childhood home?|
|Violet:||Do you like where you're from?|
|Locust:||What was your favorite book as a child?|
|Rhododendron:||What's the scariest dream you've ever had?|
|Queen Anne's Lace:||Would you rather carve pumpkins or wrap presents?|
|Magnolia:||Favorite kind of candy?|
|Aster:||Would you rather be cold or hot?|
|Marigold:||Do you listen to what's on the radio?|
|Heliconia:||Do you like when it rains?|
|Azalea:||What's a movie you cried while watching?|
|Dandelion:||Do you think you're important?|